Losinj School 2017
Spring : 1st April – 15th April, Summer : 29nd July – 12th August, Autumn : 14th October – 28th October
The Croatian Language Spring School offers students a one or two week programme of Croatian Language training.
Students are split into groups per week with a dedicated language teacher for each group and with no more than 7 students per class. The programme caters to students of Beginner to Advanced language levels.
Arriving on Saturday or Sunday, students will settle into their accommodation on the island and meet their teachers and fellow students at their leisure. On Sunday students are invited to attend a welcoming reception.
Tuition will take place Monday to Friday for 5 hours per day, a total of 25 hours per course. Beginning each day at 09.00, the morning classes last 3 hours and the focus is on all four language skills, learning grammar and performing language exercises. In the afternoon, classes start at 16.00 and there is one hour of speaking practice followed by one hour of writing exercises.
Losinj is a captivating setting in which to learn the Croatian language. Find out more about this beautiful island.
Monday – Friday
|16.00-17.00||Lessons – Speaking|
|17.15-18.15||Lessons – Writing|
Information on Tutors and Teaching Methods
Language Tutors All our teachers are native Croatian speakers with university degree qualifications and are specialists in teaching the Croatian language and giving cultural briefings to non-Croatians.
Method Using creative methods we develop all four language skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking using authentic teaching materials and techniques such as role play and grammar exercises to reinforce each lesson’s objectives. For advanced level students we review current affairs via newspapers & journals in order to augment the student’s knowledge of the culture and provoke discussion.
Courses at the Croatian Language School are organised in accordance with CERF guidelines (Common European Reference Framework).
What can I expect to achieve?
Beginner (A1) and Elementary (A2)
A1 Beginner level:
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
A2 Elementary level:
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Intermediate (B1 & B2)
B1 Intermediate level:
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
B2 Upper Intermediate level:
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Advanced (C1 & C2)
C1 Advanced level:
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
C2 Advanced Proficiency level:
- Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
- Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations
The Croatian Language School 2017 runs weekly from Saturday to Saturday with tuition Monday to Friday. The Spring School will run Saturday 1st April until Saturday 15th April, Summer School will run 29th July until the 12th August, and the Autumn School runs from the 14th October to the 28th October.
There is the option to enrol on either a 1 week or a 2 week course:
- 1 week course starts Saturday 1st April – 8th April, or 8th -15th April
- 2 week course starts Saturday 1st April – 15th April
- 1 week course starts Saturday 29th July – 5th August or 5th August – 12th August
- 2 week course starts Saturday 29th July – 12th August
- 1 week course starts Saturday 14th October – 21st October or 21st October – 28th October
- 2 week course starts Saturday 14th October – 28th October
Prices quoted in British Pound Sterling £
|One week course||£550.00|
|*Two week course||£990.00
*Special offer 2nd week receives 10% discount
What’s Included In The Programme Price
- Croatian language tuition
- Use of all necessary language teaching materials
- Certificate awarded on completion of the course
What’s Not Included In The Programme Price
- Visas (for those who require one)
- Medical insurance
- Cultural excursions/events
Please Note: The CLS provides information to assist students in securing accommodation in Croatia, but does not act as an accommodation agent.